I was reading a book yesterday and learnt some very interesting facts about the Prophet Idris Alahis Salam, somethings which I had not known before.
Well he was the third Prophet of Islam after Adam and Seth (A.S.). But more interestingly:
- Hazrat Idrees (alaihis-salaam) was the first person to write with the pen, thus becoming the inventor of writing in this world.
- He was also the first to manufacture weapons, and with the same weapons he waged jihad against the children of Qaabeel. After the death of Qaabeel, the generations that came after him had rejected Allah and His Prophets. So Hazrat Idrees waged war against them, for they had now become the enemies of Allah.
- Hazrat Idrees (alaihis-salaam) was granted by Allah knowledge of astronomy and arithmetic, and he taught this to people.
- He also invented the art of sewing clothes, at a time when people used the skins of animals to cover their bodies. Hazrat Idrees taught people how to sew clothing.
- Another practice introduced by him into the world was the method of measuring and weighing.
All this knowledge came to him through Wahi (revelation) from Allah.
Also Idrees Alaihis salaam too was raised to the heavens and given the knowledge of the unseen. Both Christians and muslims agree upon this. The Quranic ayah which refers to this is fact is
Verily! He was a man of truth (and) a prophet. We raised him to a high station.
An interesting story which I read relating to him (alahis salam) is that when he was raised to the heavens he asked the Angel of death to give him a taste of death i.e to take his soul out and put it back so he would know what it would feel like as “Every soul shall taste of death”. So the Angel of death took his soul and then put it back for him.
Then he asked the angels to show him the fire of hell as every person would pass over it (see it) so he was shown the hell. Then he asked to be taken to heaven (jannah) so the angels took him to Jannah. Once he was in Jannah he said that after a person enters Jannah he will not be taken out again so he wished to stay there and Allah allowed this. Thus the writer said the Prophet Idrees Alaihis salaam is actually alive in the heavens and indeed the Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasalam met him on the 4th Heaven on the Night of Meraj (asencion)
Wallahu Alamu Bis sawaab
Some Of His Sayings:
“None can show better gratitude for Allah’s favors than he who shares them with others.”
“Do not envy people for what they have as they will only enjoy it for a short while.”
“He who indulges in excess will not benefit from it.”
“The real joy of life is to have wisdom.”